UK Gambling Commission
Gambling laws are important throughout the world, not just at online casinos. The Gambling Commission of the United Kingdom was set up under the Gambling Act 2005 to regulate commercial gambling practices throughout the UK. They ensure that gambling services in the UK are crime free, fair and open. They also protect children and other vulnerable people from online gambling.
Who must get a gambling license?
The Gambling Commission awards gambling licenses to various operators and even individuals. This includes:
- Arcades – Arcades are usually divided into three types, namely adult gaming centres, unlicensed family entertainment centres and licensed family entertainment centres.
- Betting – These include betting shops, race tracks, racecourse pool betting, sports betting, and fantasy football.
- Bingo – Played at land-based or online bingo
- Casinos – Online casino gamesand Online Poker.
- Gambling Software – This includes virtual event control, bet capture and matching, gambling records, settlement and more.
- Gaming machines – Including lottery terminals, telephones and other communication devices, machines use to bet on future events, and fully automated casino game machines, to name a few.
- Lotteries – These include private, societal, customer, local authority lotteries and the National Lottery.
- Remote Gambling – Defined by the Gambling Act 2005 as gambling where participants play using remote communication like the Internet, television, radio and more.
Are Online Casinos Legal?
Online gambling and betting in the UK is completely legal and regulated. The UK Gambling Commission is in charge of making sure all gambling activities are licensed and regulated. All UK casino operators must be licensed and regulated before offering their service to paying customers.
Additionally, as of 2014, all gaming operators, including online casinos UK who wish to advertise and offer products must obtain an operating license from the UK Gambling Commission even if they already have licenses from jurisdictions like Malta and Gibraltar etc. In this way, the gambling population of the UK is even better protected.
Read more about the online casinos we recommend and why now.